Fire aftermath

The burned-out shell of a carpet cleaning van and machinery sits in front of a Temple College apartment complex Wednesday evening in Temple.

A malfunction Wednesday evening in a carpet cleaning machine caused a Universal Cleaning Specialists’ carpet cleaning van and machinery inside it to burn, according to a Temple Fire & Rescue press release.

The fire happened at University Courtyard Apartments, 2315 S. First St. The first Temple Fire & Rescue unit arrived at 6:23 p.m. in response to the 6:18 p.m. call.

Company employees working inside an apartment noticed the equipment was malfunctioning and went outside to check on it. The van was on fire. The apartment manager tried to use a portable fire extinguisher to put the fire out but was unsuccessful.

The manager and a Temple College Police officer told nearby apartment residents to leave, according to Temple Fire & Rescue.

Heavy smoke was coming from the van that was parked 20 to 25 feet from nearby apartments. A total of nine firefighters responded to the fire.

No apartments or residents were affected by the fire and there were no injuries. The van and cleaning machine are a total loss. No estimate on the dollar amount of damage was available by press time on Thursday.

The scene was cleared at 7:39 p.m.