Law enforcement agencies released few details Tuesday after a Temple Police officer shot and killed a man Monday night.

It was Tuesday afternoon when Temple Police identified Michael Lorenzo Dean of Temple as the man killed in the officer-involved shooting. Dean was pronounced dead at about 8:26 p.m. by Bell County Justice of the Peace Ted Duffield.

The Temple Police Department confirmed Dean’s death in the shooting that happened at about 8:15 p.m., a news release Tuesday afternoon from spokesman Chris Christoff said.

The only other information Temple Police released about shooting was that it took place near Southeast HK Dodgen Loop and Little River Road, Christoff said.

Dean’s body was sent to Southwestern Institute of Forensic Sciences for an autopsy.

The Texas Rangers are investigating the shooting at the request of the Temple Police Department, Texas Department of Public Safety Sgt. Bryan Washko said Tuesday.

The unidentified officer involved in the shooting, who has been with Temple Police Department for nine years, wasn’t injured. He was placed on paid administrative leave pending the investigation’s outcome — standard practice in any police action shootings, Christoff said.

“We understand the desire from our residents and media partners to know more about the circumstances behind this officer-involved shooting,” Christoff said late Tuesday. “However, the Texas Rangers are the leading agency in this investigation, and thus have given direction to the Temple Police Department not to release any further details.”

Assisting in the investigation will be the Temple Police Department’s Criminal Investigations Division and Bell County District Attorney’s office.

Standard in any police-involved shooting is an internal investigation.

Dean’s criminal history through the Texas Department of Public Safety showed several misdemeanor assault causing bodily injury charges and a couple of criminal trespass convictions. Dean served time in the Bell County Jail and paid fines and court costs.

Bennie Walsh, president of the local chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, talked with the Telegram on Tuesday about the Monday night shooting.

The NAACP hasn’t had any problems getting information from Temple Police Department in the past, and Walsh hopes that won’t change since former Police Chief Floyd Mitchell left to take another position in Lubbock, he said.

“We have to let the system work to find out what’s going on,” Walsh said he told the shooting victim’s mother.